When vacationers first discovered Destin in the 1930s, the entire 30-mile stretch of white sand beaches that curve along Florida’s Gulf Coast was called “Destin.” Today, each of the beachfront communities that dot the Emerald Coast from Destin to Panama City enjoys its own identity; but Destin still retains the quaint charm and stunning natural beauty that first attracted vacationers.
The Panhandle’s fastest-growing vacation community
Destin is also the most upscale. Everything in Destin is world class: the restaurants, golf courses, sport fishing, water sports, shopping, family attractions and beaches. USA Today readers voted Destin the Best Beach in America. For 9 years running, Destin has been chosen the No. 1 Beach in the South and one of the Top 5 Family Vacations by readers of Southern Living magazine. Its sugar-sand beaches and family-friendly activities put Destin on Trip Advisor’s 2011 list of Top 10 Family Vacation Destinations.
While its pristine beaches are a major draw, there are many more reasons to buy a home or vacation home in Destin:
1. Destin residents are devoted to preserving the pristine natural beauty of the area. An active environmental community sponsors regular beach clean-ups, monitors water quality, and spearheaded the permanent protection of 60% of the area’s iconic beaches.
2. Destin offers consistently pleasant weather devoid of unpleasant extremes. The average daily temperature in Destin is a balmy 70 degrees with temperatures dropping into the low 50s in January and rising into the low 80s in August.
3. The arts flourish in Destin which is home to the Northwest Florida Symphony Orchestra, several museums, art galleries and theaters.
4. Destin offers access to more than 25 championship golf courses.
5. Home of Florida’s biggest fishing fleet, Destin is the Billfish Capital of the World and a major sport and commercial fishing port. Needless to say, fresh fish are always on the menu at Destin’s 400 restaurants.